Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)/Special Accommodations
The Park District of Highland Park encourages participation by everyone! If you or a family member have special needs and would like to participate in a program, we will be happy to make reasonable modification(s) to meet your needs. Please indicate on the registration form if you would like information regarding our inclusion programs and/or specifically identifying any need for and request for reasonable modification(s) according to the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The Park District of Highland Park provides recreational opportunities for all residents of Highland Park. People with and without disabilities are encouraged and invited to register for all Park District of Highland Park programs of interest. People with disabilities will not be discriminated against in the delivery of Park District of Highland Park programs.
ADA Compliance Officer: Liza McElroy, Executive Director, Park District of Highland Park
Services to Residents with Disabilities
The Park District of Highland Park is a partner with Northern Suburban Special Recreation Association (NSSRA). Formed in 1970, NSSRA is an extension of ten park districts, two cities and one village in the northern suburbs of Chicago and provides and facilitates year-round recreation programs and services for children, teens and adults with disabilities. NSSRA offers recreation, sport, cultural, social, and leisure programs and events available throughout the year, creating new experiences, opportunities for skill development, leisure time, and perhaps most importantly, friendship. NSSRA has been creating an environment of belonging through play since 1970, and has the distinction of being the first Special Recreation Association in the country.
We believe that everyone should have the chance to try something new. This means you have the opportunity to participate in any one of NSSRA’s 800+ annual programs, or that you have the opportunity to participate in one of Park District of Highland Park’s programs with the assistance of an NSSRA Inclusion companion.
Park District of Highland Park program Inclusion Services are available to residents with special needs at no additional cost to the family. Inclusion Services may include, when necessary, staff training, program modifications/adaptations, modified equipment and program observations.
Reasons to Request Inclusion Services
- A parent or family member recognizes that a participant would benefit from additional support in a [Partner Agency] program
- Park District of Highland Park staff identifies a need for additional support, for safety and programmatic reasons, and communicates this need to the family
Requesting Inclusion Services
When registering for a Park District of Highland Park program for the first time:
- Mark the accommodation section of the registration form to indicate that the participant will require assistance from NSSRA
- Once your registration form is submitted, the Park District of Highland Park will contact you to discuss the type of Inclusion support needed for the participant
- The Park District of Highland Park will provide NSSRA with an Inclusion request that contains both program and participant information
- You will be contacted by NSSRA to discuss the needs of the participant and get input on the type of support required
- NSSRA will work with the Park District of Highland Park to put the necessary Inclusion accommodations in place for participation in the desired program(s)
- Communication between you, NSSRA, and the Park District of Highland Park staff continues throughout the Inclusion process
For more information regarding Park District of Highland Park Inclusion Services contact:
Membership Services Supervisor
Park District of Highland Park
Manager of Inclusion
(847) 509-9400 x6828
For more information about Northern Suburban Special Recreation Association (NSSRA) go to http://www.nssra.org/.
3105 MacArthur Blvd.
Northbrook, IL 60062