Recreation Center of Highland Park Renovation
Renovation of the Recreation Center of Highland Park is a Phase 1 project identified in the GreenPrint 2024 Master Plan. The project includes relocation of the Group Exercise studio to the lower level, creation of a new training studio for both personal and small group fitness training, reconfiguration the fitness desk and lobby area, and expansion of the fitness floor square footage. The facility will remain open during construction with limited disruption to patrons.
The top priority identified in the Recreation Center of Highland Park annual fitness member survey for the past three years is the need for more space on the fitness floor as well as dedicated space for stretching. You spoke and we listened.
Click the links below to view large renderings of the planned renovations.
The renovation of the lower level will take place Mar-Apr 2017 and will include…
- New Main Group Exercise Studio: will be approximately 500 sq. feet larger than our current main studio allowing approximately 10 more participants per class. The new studio will feature glass windows allowing outside sunlight and exterior views of natural tallgrass. New state-of-the-art equipment (Queenax) will be added for group functional fitness such as TRX and other new formats.
The renovation of the upper level will take place May-August 2017 and will include…
- Expansion of the fitness floor: by 850 square feet will feature a dedicated stretching area, expanded free weight area, and a new line of strength equipment.
- New Personal Training Studio: offers 650 sq. ft. of space for personal training clients plus additional equipment and features to enhance their experience.
- New Member Entrance and Retreat Area: includes a more secure way to enter the fitness area and track, new day lockers and extra space for post workout relaxation
Design Development: Oct-Nov 2016
Construction Documents: Nov-Dec 2016
Bidding & Negotiation: Jan-Feb 2017
Lower Level Construction: Mar-Apr 2017
Upper Level Construction: May-Aug 2017
Estimated Grand Opening: Fall 2017
Woodhouse Tinucci Architects (architecture)
Enspect Engineering (structural)
Anna Morton Engineering (MEP/EP)
Only one month into our renovation project and construction crews are making significant progress on the new lower level Main Group Exercise Studio.
On Monday, April 17 construction begins on the upper level!
How will this impact members?
Limited Lockers – are temporarily relocated by the upper level reception desk. Additional lockers are available in the lower level locker room.
Temporary Walls – have been erected to minimize disruption to members during construction
Personal Training – office and stretching table are temporarily relocated to the lower level
The Recreation Center remains open during construction. Once completed, the upper level will feature:
- Expansion of the fitness floor by 850 square feet
- A new dedicated stretching area
- Expanded free weight area
- A new 650 square foot personal training studio
- Enhanced Members Entrance and Retreat Area
Construction began on Wednesday, March 8 on the new lower level Group Exercise Studio. Once completed, the new studio will be approximately 500 square feet larger that the current studio and will feature:
- A free floating bamboo floor with spring installation for maximum impact absorption
- State-of-the art Queenax equipment
- Improved lighting including brighter LED fixtures as well as additional windows providing more natural light and scenic views of the wetlands west of the Recreation Center
The Recreation Center remains open during construction.
Design development, construction documents and the bidding process were completed on schedule. The Park Board approved staff to enter into a contractual agreement with Boller Construction for the project at the February 21 meeting. The anticipated start date is early March 2017.