This park is designated a natural area.
Millard Park was once part of the Schaffner estate with a home designed by Howard Van Doren Shaw in 1909. Henry Floriani originally designed the gardens. The Park District of Highland Park acquired the land in 1969 and the house was demolished in 1982. In 1987, the Junior League of Evanston-North Shore approached the Park District of Highland Park to restore the garden in Millard Park. In 1990, local members of the Garden Club of America took over the gardens maintenance.
The garden was dedicated to Robert C. Schaffner in May of 1991. Since 1991, the Park District of Highland Park has maintained the garden. Millard Park is named after Everett L. Millard who was an early Commissioner and President of the Highland Park East Park District. Voted Best Secluded Picnic Spot by Chicago Magazine, August 2001.
Millard Park is 14 acres of ravine, bluff, and shore habitat. Ravines offer cooler climates for plants and animals.