Our Park District has 45 unique parks, each with a characteristic all its own just waiting to be explored. We are proud that 90% of our residents are within a ten-minute walk to a park, a benefit that only a small percentage of communities in the United States can tout.
- Parks are open from dawn to dusk
- Play at your own risk
- Dogs must be leashed and cleaned up after in all areas not designated as off-leash dog parks
- No smoking (including e-cigarettes), firearms, or alcohol are allowed on park property
- Permits are required for groups of twelve or more. For permit information, call 847.831.3810
- Golfing is prohibited in parks
- No motorized vehicles on grass or paths
- Glass containers are prohibited in parks
- Dumping and littering are prohibited in our parks.
- The Park District of Highland Park utilizes Strike Guard, a lightning detection system that sounds when lightning is in the area. Strike Guard sensors are located at Sunset Valley Golf Course, Hidden Creek AquaPark, Deer Creek/Larry Fink Memorial Park, West Ridge Park, Park Avenue Boating Facility, Centennial Ice Arena, Sunset Woods Park, Recreation Center of Highland Park, and Heller Nature Center.
Please take appropriate shelter when the warning signals are activated. If the weather is threatening but no warning signal is heard or seen, use good judgment and clear the area. Do not wait for the warning signal to activate.
- In parks with athletic fields:
- Permit holders have priority use as scheduled
- The use of ball fields is prohibited if field conditions are unable to support play.
- If you see equipment that is broken or a hazard in any part of the park, please call the safety hotline at 847.831.3968.
- For emergencies, call 911.