Rosewood Park is the former summer estate of Julius Rosenwald, president of Sears, Roebuck, and Company. Rosenwald had hired Jens Jensen to design the landscape for the summer home. Rosewood was named to commemorate the Rosenwald Family, whose name is translated to Rosewood.
A portion of Rosewood Beach was purchased from the Rosenwald Family in 1928. The second portion of the park was acquired in 1945. The beach had been used as a sewage disposal plant, it was opened for the first time as a guarded bathing beach in 1958.
Many features of the former Rosenwald estate still exist today such as the stone bridge spanning the Rosewood Ravine and the stone pool that had been buried for many years. The pool was excavated by the Park District and can be seen today.
Rosewood Park sits above Rosewood Beach and offers parking and beach access for non-residents. It also offers a playground, picnic tables, and benches for looking out onto beautiful Lake Michigan.
- Picnic Area
- Walking Paths
- Playground (2-5 and 5-12)
- Swimming Beach (Seasonal)